The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Summary of Improv Goals 001

Saturday, April 10, I returned to doing improv after being off two weeks, and I have not written about my goals for improv for a month. This morning “I don't want to be awake right now” pervades my experiences at work. Since I updated my blog too much last week, I have not really had much to say, although I considered a discussion of my history in improv.

In fall, 1993, I met D. Denton Turley in Physical Science taught by Ms. Matson-Ritter. That year in high school, he was a sophomore and I was a freshman. From 1996, I lost touch with him until 2001, when he formed “The Johnson County Community College Improvisational Society”, which was “officially disbanded due to lack of student presence” in May, 2004. In 2005 , Denton briefly directed another troupe at Heartland Community Church, while they were located on Lamar Avenue.

In 2008, Denton was looking to begin improv again, and Trish Berrong suggested the Roving Imp Training Center to him. Saturday, December 27, 2008, Denton had his first show at the Roving Imp Theater and Coffee House. Once I began receiving the e-mail newsletter, I became aware of classes there, once able I went to the first class on Monday evenings in March, 2009, and ever since I have been at the Roving Imp Theater.

In fall, 2009, Tom Kessler invited me to join Project Improv. Our first show was at JCCC, and our second show was a part of KC Crossroads Comedy.

Presently weekends are dominated by rehearsing, performing, and watching improv. This month at the Roving Imp is “Big Choices” month. I am certain that I did some good work in my class on Saturday, and the last evening, like the rest of the Roving Imp Mini-festival, went well. In class on Sunday during February, I first received the note, “Volume is no indicator of [emotional] intensity,” which I briefly forgot this Sunday with the consequence of a sore throat. In rehearsal with Project Improv, I did however use emotion to solidly motivate my scenes, like your girlfriend, and I did not strain my throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment