The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Friday, have a scone.

I adore the people with which I work, “Surprises let me know they care.”

With the exception of my “Botch-fest” posts, I do not often complain, although my family might disagree with that supposition. Well, I do not often complain about the place where I work. For eleven and a half years, I have worked part-time at Johnson County Community College.

“Happy Friday, have a scone,” one of my coworkers said, as she approached me with a white paper sack about 8:30 a.m. this morning. She had asked my other coworker, before he went down to Café Tempo for himself, to pick up a scone for each of the three of us who were working at the time. Café Tempo is located, “in the space between the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art and Regnier Center.” The scone was the size of my fist, was flavored with berry and was infused with chocolate chips.

The funny thing about surprises is that they largely occur without warning, like power fluctuations due to spring storms. The power fluctuated about 9:30 a.m. this morning in a few buildings on campus. The effects were temporary, and thankfully this blog is saved in the cloud.

Although this year I have been pranked with free food, most times the food is truly good, like on Groundhog Day, when the wife of my manager spoiled us with chicken tortilla soup, corn muffins and chocolate chip cookie bars. Most often LaMar’s Donuts are brought.

I have not yet brought any food for my coworkers, because I only make $10.50 an hour after the deductions take away 23.95 percent of my pay. I am decidedly a fan getting free food wherever I can, nearly. Six months ago the “Fan Woody” campaign from T.G.I.Friday's® offered free burgers if the page had a half million Fans, so I printed the coupon three times.

This week, through Sunday, Einstein Bros Bagels is offering a free bagel and shmear with coupon. The coupons is found on the “Offers” tab on the Facebook page. I hope free food is a goal of wraths of serendipity, like your girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment