The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Monday, February 13, 2012

Summary of Improv Goals 014

At the Roving Imp Training Center, John is creative director, in both title and nuisance. For me, I emote with difficulty, and the focus this month is on the realistic portrayal of emotions. Both in attendance and fun, our class had a successful show on Friday, February 3, but my sisters would not know anything about that, because they have not seen one of my shows in years.

In class on Tuesday, John noted challenges for all of us. For me, I need to move more on stage, and play a character with something other than diabetes. Unfortunately, I have forgotten most of what occurred in those scenes, but I will keep those challenges as my goals.

Following class, John generously granted some rehearsal time to Matt and me, and coached us, because better performers make better performances. Our format largely consisted of Matt and I being ourselves and breaking the fourth wall by addressing the audience and John, who both noted that this technique was overused in our third set.

A matter of opinion, I think that our rehearsal that night may have been better than our set on Saturday, when Matt and I decided that we would take a suggestion based on Valentine’s Day.

Backstage, before Matt and I ran our format, we counted up while changing the emotion in our voices and the expressions on our faces, then began to count down, and Matt let out a truly heinous fart around thirteen. We laughed very hard, and harder once we actually smelled it.

That evening when the Roving Imp had nearly sold out the shows, and Matt and I agreed to be as clean as possible, depending on the content of the audience; however, I was not going to let that Matt let out a big wet one and that we laughed so hard about it backstage be lost on our audience, most of whom had left before we took the stage.

Matt took a suggestion of what was something that one would like to not have happen on a date on Valentine’s Day. My disclosure influenced the suggestion, which became: fart.

I mentioned that I was the least bitter about this Valentine’s Day than I have been in years, and asked Matt how bitter he was. He said the he was pretty bitter. Even though Matt and I were largely playing ourselves on stage, I still had trouble connecting emotionally through most of our set, and Matt also noted that I was meta a lot of the time.

While our set may not have been the most funny of the evening, John commented that we had done improv well. Also, I had one consciously clever moment, and another that Matt noted but that I did not actively attempt.

Earlier in the exercises to warm up the cast, we did an emotion-TV-show circle, where one person suggested an emotion and another suggested a TV series. I suggested contemplative and Justin suggested The X-Files.

my little pony, friendship is magic, brony - But In Your Case We'll Make an Exception
see more My Little Brony
Shipping (fandom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
“Shipping, derived from the word relationship, is the belief that two fictional characters, typically from the same series, are in an intimate relationship, or have romantic feelings that could potentially lead to a relationship. It is considered a general term for fans’ emotional involvement with …”
With those two preceding things in mind, I said, “Should we ship, or shouldn’t we?”

The second was when I inadvertently made a reference to A History of Violence, when Matt mentioned his personal history of violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment