The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Monday, May 14, 2012

Another Moving Day

Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I do not have to rise before the sun. In order for me to be able to help John to move his family to Lawrence this Sunday, my father and mother graciously rescheduled Mother’s Day luncheon at Jose Pepper’s Border Grill & Cantina to Saturday. The time to be in Bonner Springs was set at 10:30 a.m., which I perceived as a soft time, at least I did that morning.

On Sunday, I finally awoke at 9:38 a.m., I was out of the shower at 9:50 and to the door by 10:00, but I had yet had no breakfast, which I found at QuikTrip. When I arrived at 10:30 a.m., John’s wife Denise greeted me, and the mattress and springs from the master bedroom were being loaded up the ramp and into the gasoline-powered GMC Savana Cutaway Van from Budget Rental.

As John and his sister Julie approached with a ping-pong table, I saw that I could likely not descend the ramp before they ascended; that was how I became stuck on the truck with Brian, the youngest of John’s two brothers.

Within forty-five to sixty minutes, we departed for Lawrence. I had loaded my car with a heavy box of books and two boxes of DVDs. Denise had the keys to the house, so no one was able to take anything inside.

Like the T-X near the end of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Derek’s wife Hannah skillfully shimmied her way under a partially open garage door, so we could unload bed frames, boxes, and wooden furniture in the garage; all covered or plush furniture was taken to the backyard.

Their new house has much appeal from the curb
Their new house has much appeal from the curb.

With their two children Miles and Ivy as well as the keys to the house, Denise returned. As she turned the key to the front door, Denise remarked, “Thanks, everyone, for the great Mother’s Day present.”

A tour of the split-level home followed, and Denise soon left to buy pizza, of which I later had more than my fair share, from Wheat State Pizza - Lawrence, Kansas. She also graciously bought a gallon jug of unsweetened tea for me.

The Roving Imp and the Roving Imp Training Center will be moving to Lawrence in weeks or months, will effectively put improv into hiatus for me, and will be located in this building, if zoning laws permit.
The previous owner used this building to repair motorcycles
The previous owner used this building to repair motorcycles.

As I went to my car to leave, I said, “Happy Mother’s Day, Denise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment