The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Summary of Improv Goals 019

At the 75th Street Brewery, KC drinker says, “Bar food [is] taken to the next level,” and Rachel in the bar area is always a truly excellent server. After my wonderful dinner, I was en route to the Roving Imp Training Center. Tuesday around 6:42 p.m., the sign at Papa Bob’s BBQ quantified the unseasonably warm weather: 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I weigh less than 300 pounds, but being diabetic makes the heat worse, because I am permitted no Gatorade. Last night, I got too hot, and had to leave, yet mentally noted some things from class.

Later at the home of Denton, Pepperdance in front of Rarity
Later at the home of Denton, Pepperdance loves to race
and takes the lead from Rarity.

Creative director in both title and nuisance, John set us to a game of Emotion-Location Circle, “Love in a Chinese Restaurant,” which sounds like a song by Aerosmith; I later realized that. After everyone gave an opening line, John instructed us to use those lines to start some scenes; the scene that I initiated with David follows.
As he had in the previous scene, David sat on a box.
I remained standing, and repeated my earlier line, “That was the best kung pao chicken that I have ever had.”
Although I cannot exactly remember how David responded, he responded in a Chinese accent, then we both uttered two more lines of dialog.
John paused us, “David, your accent is great, but what is your emotion, what your character is feeling?” “Grateful,” replied David.
John continued, “You can have a Chinese accent and be grateful,” which he followed with impassioned thanks covering his heart with both hands.
We resumed, and David delivered a long and impassioned speech, saying “rub” instead of love, and everyone lost it.
The last scene in this round was between Dustin and John. Dustin is really, really new to improv, so he struggles to think of responses.
John opened this scene, calling Dustin, “Sumi.”
As an actor, Dustin said nothing for while and fidgeted, moving his arm across his hair.
In the audience, I began to laugh, because Dustin was actually playing a brilliant character, although he did not immediately appreciate this fact.
As an actor in desperation, Dustin apologized, “I forgot my brain today.”
The scene continued for a few more lines, and John painted Sumi as a girl who was not all there, but for whom his character had great love and affection.
As director, John challenged Dustin, “Go ahead, say anything, a line that you think will throw me off.”
In the previously described emotion, John responded.
Before we began to run the long form called a la Ronde, John illuminated that every player at times will not have any idea what to say:
“I was on stage with that feeling a few times this weekend, but the second player on stage is there to help you, support you. So, if you ever see me with this look...”
When I left 75th Street, I should have insisted on a cup of iced tea to go, yet I still learned a few things last night, despite my having to leave early.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Chris. We missed you in the last half of class. See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete