The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Know your audience

One has to be mindful of one’s audience, like your girlfriend; the best is to be in the presence of friends. But delights surely mean a rewrite if unions have anything to do with the verdure in Latonia, says this one. My endearing qualities, my failed attempts at humor and my refreshing naïveté, are almost secondary to my inferiority complex, but I do not want to bring down the entire mood of the post.

About 41 minutes ago
Christopher Hurt does not feel like he wants to be awake right now...
Kitto being tired makes everything else feel secondary. The situation is like the lyrics from a song by Creed, which a friend on Facebook referenced, “[You create your] own prison”. Okay, usually editors use square brackets to insert information into a quote; however, I also use them when I change any of the words inside a quote.

For a moment, I thought about titling this post, “Postscript to Experiment”, but this is more of practical discussion. I also wanted some somewhat-divergent points to coalesce; a desire which will have more relevance later. This is already becoming less of a coherent post.

One has to be mindful of one’s audience, e.g., at the Roving Imp Theater, they have an All-Ages show at 7:00 p.m. and an Adults-Only show at 9:00 p.m. on Saturdays and occasionally on Fridays. Being mindful of one’s fellow players, on stage in improv, is another topic for another time. One’s point of view determines the perception of this arrangement.

While saying that some content is restricted during an All-Ages show, one could feel that one’s creativity is stifled; however, one could also perceive this as a creative challenge: to not necessarily see how far one can push the boundaries, but to play with the boundaries within limits. An All-Ages show also improves what audiences to which the theater can market itself.

This is a partial revelation at which I have arrived through taking classes and performing in class shows at the Roving Imp Theater. This revelation has also been re-enforced by rehearsing with the International House of Mancakes last night. I have also learned much with Project Improv, but with fewer restrictions on content.

Anyway, that is enough with the All-Ages bit, so I will continue with an Adults-Only bit. The preceding statement also serves as a disclaimer for the possible content past this point. The second thought in the first sentence is that among friends is the best audience.

Perhaps only from shyness, I generally say only certain things around certain people, and perhaps as Nifer once told me, “You edit yourself too much.” Of course, I don’t always think before I speak; I am human and certainly fallible. The most difficult part for me is constructing that perfect quip; I am not necessarily quick-witted but I am lucky sometimes, i.e., sometimes somewhat-divergent points in my mind can coalesce into a statement; I can at least share and show off my knowledge.

After rehearsal with IHOM last night for instance, Denton had largely finished his story: when he and a former girlfriend were together, she had laundered instead of dry-cleaned all of his suits. In the story, he told his girlfriend that all of the suits were from a second-hand stores, when later he wept privately about their loss. If he had told the truth, his girlfriend might not do his laundry again. Another example of my refreshing naivete, I interjected:
“So it is important to lie to [one’s] girlfriend! I would not know; I have never had a girlfriend. It is kind of like a conversation I had with my economics instructor: when [one buys] a washing machine, [one is] purchasing a good and service... like a girlfriend.”
I might not be a chauvinist or misogynistic as I am just plain ignorant, although these conditions are not mutually exclusive. A friend had posted as her status that after some hard work her laundry was now her bitch. Encouraged by previously success, I replied:

About 4 hours ago Christopher Hurt
If I crawl on all fours while tied to a leash, may I also be?
About 4 hours ago
Chris, that classifies as fucking creepy.
About 4 hours ago Christopher Hurt
I am that I am.
My feeling is better, anyways of having said these things. And I did not die!

2 comments:

  1. I like my women like I like my washing machines: Getting cloths wet.
    It was worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that one very much, in fact my reaction is as follows:
    Konata says, “Good Job!”

    ReplyDelete