The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Responding to Caedmon

Responding to Caedmon” is indeed an esoteric title for a blog post, especially on a blog that does not include literature reviews. If not in front of a computer screen, I usually do not read any. “The triumph of video culture over print culture” has produced me as a hapless victim; I quoted Susan Jacoby’s The Age of American Unreason, which I did not actually read, but heard on CD.

As an audio-book, The Age of American Unreason comes on twelve CDs. While I was attending ITT Technical Institute, I would listen to the CDs during the commute. I survived through disc 6, which was a valiant effort, I suppose. Perhaps a symptom of my superficiality, I actually attempted to read Dune when my office was full of more of the people who read in front of me.

Yes, if the activity of reading is popular enough in my circle of friends, then I sometimes I will read. The struggle to “fit in” remains a large part of my life. Although I do not always require pressure to make a positive change in my life, my parents would say that such pressure is still necessary for me.

I do not often motivate myself into positive action, I concede. A lot of times, my life can be defined less by my actions and defined more by my inaction; this is especially evident in some of those notes on Facebook where I respond to questions.
Ambition has been absent from my life for a while. Now, I do have goals; however, most of my goals exist in the nebulous:
“Someday I will move out of the house of my parents.”
My improv goals are different, like your girlfriend, in that they are all about continuous improvement, although I am not in any ensemble.

Earlier I mentioned that I am unable to afford health insurance, yet I receive a dental cleaning when I am able through the Dental Hygiene Clinic on J.C.C.C. campus. Part of the examination process for patients, a dental hygiene student checked my blood pressure, which has previously been in the pre-hypertension range but is now in the high blood-pressure range.

I have been strongly advised to see a physician about my high blood pressure. Tuesday I got a signature loan and soon I will schedule an appointment, most possibly with Mercy & Truth Medical Missions.

2 comments:

  1. So, hanging out with us on Monday nights was more to fit in then to read?
    If so, then good! I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♫ But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Sometimes I imagine
    That I would like to be
    A person who's named Ernie
    Who looks quite a lot like me

    Who likes the things that I like
    And who does the things I do
    And I don't have to imagine
    Because I'm Ernie!
    Me, that's who!

    (nifty Ernie laugh)

    And I'd tip my hat
    Imagine that
    Imagine thaaaaaaat
    Imagine that! ♫


    And I have some superficiality.

    ReplyDelete