The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chocolate Frosted Doughnut w/ Sprinkles

Sometime this week, my type-II diabetes will have been managed for six months. Who knows how long I may have been diabetic, but I finally had the blood test that my doctor wanted for me to get. Interpreting the results, a different doctor said, “Yep, you’re diabetic.”

I received Dr Pepper for Christmas last year

A good and trusted friend since 1993, Denton has a diabetic father, and I have looked to him as a source of advice. When I asked if I could have a sports drink, he said, “You can only drink four things: coffee, milk, tea, and water.”

I no longer drink soda, or diet soda. I rarely eat desserts. I hardly even miss them. Dunkin Donuts, who thankfully also has plain cake doughnuts, had an image of a chocolate frosted doughnut with sprinkles today, which inspired this post.

My mother has type-I diabetes and my father has type-II, so I have a family history of diabetes, and cause to be concerned about my future. We all had angel food cake and strawberries for my birthday this year.

At its height, my weight was 313 pounds; it now between 285 and 290 pounds. My friend David has been an inspiration; he has lost 60 pounds this year by walking regularly and lifting some weights.

In my confusion about salads and their being a way to save on carbohydrates, Denton replied, “Anything that’s not meat is a carb.”

Ever so slowly, my diet, my body and my image of myself will likely change and become more positive. At least, I am trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment