The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Friday, October 29, 2010

Traitor to the Name Megatron

Back in my day, Transformers fandom split following the release of the animated series Beast Wars: Transformers. Unsatisfied with this new series in general, one of the factions used the phrase, “traitor to the name,” in reference to the character Megatron.

Although a debt of gratitude is owed to her for the organization of the BotCon in 1995, Raksha became even more notorious following her comments on the first episode of Beast Wars.
Kitto I must write a disclaimer about the images that appear in the advertisements on the following website linked in this post:
Encyclopedia Dramatica
“As you may know, Encyclopedia Dramatica is incredibly popular and generates massive, massive amounts of traffic. It’s controversial, uncensored and an amazing repository of internet history. In order to stay that way, we need a little help.”
The following is the article about Raksha:
Raksha - Encyclopedia Dramatica
“Raksha (her actual legal name. her birth name was reported to be lost to the sands of time but is almost certainly Jovanka Kink) is a notorious Transformers fan, known mostly for her creepy near-sexual fetishization of the Decepticons and her fervent insistance that the Decepticons are in fact the true heroes of the Transformers story. When not fawning over how awesome and handsome Megatron is, she writes fanfic where her Mary Sue character has sex with alternately Megatron, Soundwave and Cyclonus.”
For the record, I love every iteration of The Transformers, which is why I am so keen on the Hub, the channel formerly known as Discovery Kids, where the newest iteration of The Transformers is set to soon be broadcast. Anyway, I should return to my story.

Finding that Benson Yee consulted on Beast Wars and at least one episode (“Possession”) of Beast Wars loosely referenced on an episode (“Starscream’s Ghost”) from the original Transformers series, I formally decided that all the episodes were based on episodes from the original series, after noting the similarities between “The Trigger, Parts 1 and 2” and “Golden Lagoon”.

Blindly confident in this new knowledge, and just to be ornery, I decided to take on Raksha on the Transformers newsgroup. As I soon discovered, I had made the extreme jump in logic, which I do sometimes, like your girlfriend.

In her reply, Raksha called alt.toys.transformers a cesspool. Her response completely destroyed me, and I have never apologized to her in the decade since.

Now you all know the real reason I truly do not argue politics today.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I wanted to comment on this part:
    "Raksha (her actual legal name. her birth name was reported to be lost to the sands of time but is almost certainly Jovanka Kink)"
    And:
    "When not fawning over how awesome and handsome Megatron is, she writes fanfic where her Mary Sue character has sex with alternately Megatron, Soundwave and Cyclonus.”
    Yes, if she's writing fan fiction about getting it on with Megatron, she needs the name "Kink".

    Also, it sounds like she is to you what Diane Dawain is to Nifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unicron would say to the Encyclopedia Dramatica, “You exaggerate.”

    Yes, I think your analogy is accurate that Raksha is to me, what Diane Duane is to Nifer, or was, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raksha was a good friend of mine back when I was in High School. It was a rough time in my life (as I'm sure it was for many) and I found myself drifting to the internet to find friends and companions, since I felt very little connection to my peers. At the time, I wandered into the Transformers MUSH community, since I had been a Transformers fan since I was a young kid (I still have the first TF figure a relative ever bought for me: Cosmos!)

    It was around this time I met Raksha. I've read all the comments, and I know she could be difficult, to say the least. But, you know what? She took a very lonely, very scared, 16 year old under her wing. She listened to me whine and complain, like most teenagers will, and never judged; just gave me an open ear and the occasional bit of advice. More than that, she encouraged me to keep writing, and actually published a rather shoddy essay of mine on her ConQuest fanzine.

    I will never say she was a saint (as an atheist, I'm sure she would take offence to the term ... an argument we used to have frequently) but she was someone who was there for me when I needed someone to be. She didn't have to be, Lord knows, and I'm sure I wore on her nerves many a time, but se never pushed me away.

    I don't know what's become of her in the past decade, and I can't only hope that she is well. But she was a Damned good friend of mine when I had few and she deserves better than to be slandered across the web in this hack fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I used to go by the name Mono if that still means anything to anyone (I doubt it still does)

      Delete