The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Whirlwind weekend 001

For me, weekends come in four varieties: those which go right, those which go wrong, those about which I forget to comment, and those about which I completely forget. Of course, I have no records for the latter two categories. A whirlwind weekend is a good thing, like your girlfriend.
“Oh boy, I usually only get this excited when they say the title of a movie in the movie.”
Mentioned a few times on this blog, the first rehearsal for the Next Big Improv Show was Thursday night, September 23, when my whirlwind weekend began, like your girlfriend.

Eleven of the twelve contestants were at rehearsal. We all played the game of Dang, to cover introductions, and then John led a question-and-answer session. Next, on stage we all lined up and sorted ourselves based on various criteria, like how long we had to drive to arrive, and how many stage shows we had done. We played a few line games, and everyone left feeling very positive, especially John.

For me, Friday, September 24, was to be two things: the staff picnic, and the first performance of the Next Big Improv Show. I awoke a little late from my nap in the afternoon. By the time I was at I-35, there was gridlock, so I skipped the picnic, because as soon as I would have reached J.C.C.C., I would have just had to leave for the Roving Imp Theater.

Next door, I ate at Kobi’s, and later waited with Matt Massey just a few minutes for the door to the theater to be unlocked. I have known Matt since April 2009, when we were both in the Robot Parade. Matt is also in the International House of Mancakes, which is currently taking a hiatus.

Friday night, Student Night, David and I alternated the being on stage and being in the booth for the evening, although I was not in the show for the Level 3 class. In other words, while I was in the booth, David was on stage in the Robot Parade. David was in the booth, while I was on stage for the Next Big Improv Show. David was also in the booth for the Level 3 show. Finally, David was on stage for the R.I. Spectacular, while I was in the booth. As noted on this blog, I found that the shows just got better and better as the evening went on Friday.

On Saturday morning, I again helped Denton with a local campaign for a state representative. Working in a two-person team, I drove by my own car around to the locations, for which I temporarily installed the VZ Navigator app on my Verizon Wireless mobile phone. Denton treated us to lunch. I so pleased to have seen two of the people, with whom I worked that day, at my show the previous evening.

Saturday, September 25, the shows held regularly at the Roving Imp Theater, instead were held at The Living Room at the Pearl Gallery, 1818 McGee Street, Kansas City, Missouri, in the Crossroads District near Downtown. Earlier in the week, Tom Kessler approached me about working the box office for the shows, and I agreed to be there at 5:30 p.m.. I had not interacted with Tom in person for some time. Later my arrival time would become more significant:
Following a visit to Z-Teca in Crown Center, I had attempted to locate The Living Room on Wednesday. Fortunately I had installed the previously mentioned navigation app, so finding the place was much easier on that rainy evening.

Within five minutes of my arrival, two vehicles collided at the intersection of 19th and McGee, a block south of where I had just parked my car, which was all very spooky. I walked south, and learned that everyone was okay. Saying that I had arrived safely, I sent a text message to Tom, but I referred to myself in the third person, which confused and briefly panicked him, as I had mentioned the collision.

In the phone conversation that followed, we cleared up both of our misunderstandings. To which I had not been a party, I had only seen the collision. Tom was informed me that Missouri Western State University had auditions in the space until 6:00 p.m.; he had just forgotten to inform me.
Before 6:00 p.m., when Tom arrived, the police barriers were not yet in place, and I helped Tom with a 24-pack of bottled water. I had not yet had dinner, so Tom graciously gave me five dollars for a slice of pizza and suggested Grinder’s, which was over two blocks on 18th Street. On my way to Grinder’s, I encountered two young men, who were about 20 and were looking to go somewhere other than Grinder’s because of a long line. I entreated them to follow me back, so Tom could recommend another place to them.

I was finally on my way to Grinder’s, because of what had already been established, so I had decided that no line would deter me, and I had an hour and half. Because I would certainly have an hour of free time before the shows at 8:00 p.m., I made sure to bring my Dell notebook computer and Verizon Wireless wireless adapter with me. As I had been informed, Grinder’s was full, yet still I silently pouted to myself during the twenty minutes which I stood in line, holding my backpack and Tony Stewart jacket in front of me.

I bought a single slice of New York-style, pepperoni pizza and a medium drink. To The Living Room, I returned before 7:00 p.m., and set up. David was the first person to arrive, although Jenifer Harmon and John had technically arrived separately in the intervening minutes between my departure for Grinder’s and my return to The Living Room. I know this because I recognized their cars.

To Facebook, I logged in and noted how every sound over a certain volume echoed in the lobby. As predicted, I had about an hour to the start of the shows, and the start was extended ten minutes. I found again that the shows just got better and better as the evening went on Saturday.

In recalling the Saturday shows, I pray that I do not sound like too harsh of a critic:
On their first away mission, Deep Space Emily was first, and Julie shined brightest as her character Bethany. Always great when Trish plays, Omega Directive dispensed with much protocol: they played as themselves, and acted as if Ryan was not there, but as if someone in the audience, Mike Jimerson, was the only person other than Jeremy in existence. Also performing this month at Düofest in Philadelphia and the Kansas City Improv Festival, Dictionary Soup had the best set of the night.

In working with the space, which was new to us, there were some technical glitches, and the battery for the video camera unfortunately quit before the end of Dictionary Soup.
Saturday was also the birthday of Major Tom, who had brought a chocolate-chip cookie cake with him. Chanté has a birthday on Tuesday, September 28, so we all went to Hamburger Mary’s to celebrate. I stayed until a little after midnight, in order to have a piece of the cake.

I was home about 12:30 a.m., and I watched the end of the episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on the Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network, where the Cowboy Bebop episode “Toys in the Attic” next aired.

The events of early Sunday have already been chronicled in my previous post. I am male and guilty; I gave an extra five per cent gratuity on a twenty-dollar meal to a cute server Sunday. The reader is welcome to do the math and to find the appropriate quote by Matthew McConaughey.
Matthew McConaughey played opposite Jodie Foster in the 1997 film Contact. Otherwise he plays in films of marginal quality, which has also been said of his acting ability. He has also been arrested for playing the bongos while naked. To which I am referring, the quote was also used in a cut away featuring Brian in Family Guy. I will later tell you the quote, if no one takes my bait.
Christopher Hurt someday is going to write a book, which will likely include a chapter about how The Office reminds him that he has to be at work on Monday.

Christopher Hurt is having a good Monday, just as his manager for him has wished. Playing “Hare Hare Yukai”, parking his Chevy Cavalier too close to the line on the right, and eating Hot Pockets have actually all worked out well today, though he is really not quite so sure about the store-bland crackers, like your girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment