The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

YBH - your brain hurts 001

Christopher Hurt rolled for awareness, via some twenty-sided dice, and learned about the victory of the local team over San Diego.
Konata says, “Good Job!”
I also had an important bowel movement during the game, like your girlfriend.
“Subject: Re: testers wanted: iPad

Thanks for your interest in joining our iPad testing program where you get to test and keep an Apple iPad! Spots are extremely limited and will be filled shortly. Please hurry and visit the page below and confirm your email address. The testing period will last 15 days - one month, after which you may keep it as compensation.

http://trilons.com/

> hi there, im interested in your guys testing program to get a Apple iPad. How can i signup? thanks”
Okay, okay, okay, some people were talking last night about the game at Ottawa University, and actually I heard from a little bird named Matthew Moore... sheesh...
SHIRLEY: Rebranding conservatism - Washington Times
“We have reached a critical moment. Whoever wins this struggle, pitting centralized authority against the private American citizen, will dominate American politics and culture for a generation. This conflict over the role of government is as old as our republic and as new as Obamacare.

This time, however, the stakes are far higher, as the road intended for the citizenry by the ruling classes undoubtedly will lead - many Americans believe - to serfdom and a lifetime of groveling in fear before the governing elites and their enablers in the academy, Big Media, Big Labor and Big Business.”
To be factually correct, the discussion was about people who began tailgating at noon, before the Royals game, staying the afternoon through the end of the Chiefs game at midnight.
Best Tailgate Cars and Trucks for Football Season on RoadandTrack.com
“Get your car ready for football season and learn which cars and trucks are best for tailgating. Find out R&Tʼs top picks for tailgating at RoadandTrack.com.”
To be honest, with the importance of being earnest, I have yet not done one assignment for my present college class. I have four reflective papers, each five pages in length, required as part of the course. True, that may not be much, but I do not remember writing more than three double-spaced pages on anything; however, my post, “The plight of small pick-up trucks”, is actually five pages long, when examined in Microsoft Office. With confidence, I know that I could write a quality paper, like the following, written by someone else:
Appropriating the One-Drop Rule: Family Guy on Reparations | Enculturation
“The one-drop rule, or the notion that one drop of African blood renders a person black, once played a vital role in the expansion of the nineteenth-century American slave population and segregation under Jim Crow. Media, communication, and rhetorical studies, however, have yet to consider the extent to which the one-drop rule continues to function in contemporary American discourse on race. There are, nonetheless, scholars in other fields who have turned a critical eye to the one-drop rule and the ways Americans have taken up or challenged the one-drop rule in their language.

Ronald Sundstrom studied the obstacles multiracial individuals have encountered in their efforts to assert their multiracial identities in the face of various parties who deny such identities on grounds informed by the one-drop rule and other perspectives that refuse the existence of mixed race (110-116).

Joshua Glasgow and his colleagues performed an experiment in which participants were asked to racially classify a woman who looked white and self-identified as such, but discovered that she had a black ancestor; the overwhelming majority of participants categorized her as white (64).

However, as Glasgow went on to point out, many Americans identify President Barack Obama as black despite common knowledge of his white mother. Given such observations, it is clear that there are vestiges of the one-drop rule in American racial discourse. But as Michel de Certeau explained, people appropriate discourses to achieve ends that do not always coincide with the ideological implications originally associated with some facet of language use (48).

Being no exception, the one-drop rule no longer works to expand the ranks of dehumanized chattel nor does it serve as grounds for the legal removal of peoples from segregated areas, yet many still rely on it, though less rigidly, to identify some biracial Americans as black. The one-drop rule’s discursive utility, however, is not confined to regressive forms of racial identification and has been used for other strategic purposes as is the case in an episode of Seth MacFarlane’s Emmy-nominated Family Guy (‘Peter Griffin...’) that parodies the slavery reparations debate, a veritable minefield for anyone willing to partake in the dispute.”
Christopher Hurt was going to leave the ice tray empty, but had a pang of guilt, and refilled the tray. Ladies! I am trained and available! Kitto, now, YBH - your brain hurts, like your girlfriend!

3 comments:

  1. A good portion of what I would leave a comment on I stated on facebook. So some of this will be repeated to you...new to others.
    I don't care about the KC Chiefs or profeshinal football in general. I have had health issues, that I won't go into on your blog, that involve my poop. So my poop is a matter more important to me that KC Chiefs football.
    I also stated that I'm usually the one to cause the Roving Imp to run out of much needed peanut butter products.
    Finally, new comments:
    I read The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. When I learned I was to read The Importance of Being Earnest, I was worried because of my expierence of reading Dorian Gray with the exception of the prissy way the main charicter broke up with his girlfriend. That was funny...then followed by the (now x)girlfriend's suicide. But the Importance Of Being Earnest was my favorite book in the class that I had to read it in. But to be honest, it was really the only book I was able to finish.
    Finally, I was wondering, was that political debate and tailgaters really the same discussion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do use some of what I say on Facebook as transitional material between links; that is the style that I have developed for this blog, I concede.
    I care little if any about the Chiefs, too. I was just implying that the spam message was literal crap.
    I do not read much, and I was only using the title as a phrase, but if you enjoyed that work, then perhaps I should also consider reading it.
    No, politics and tailgating were separate discussions, and that was perhaps not the best use of a transition.
    I just really wanted to share that link in my blog, and by doing so I have apparently made your brain hurt, which was one of my aims in this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly, I had the advantage of listening to an audio recording while reading...it makes reading plays easier...since they are read differently than books usually are. I did my Shakespeare reading that way. It helped a lot when it came to understanding it.

    ReplyDelete