The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Friday, December 2, 2016

Humor vampirism 029

I’m a bit drunk, but the kind that Sheryl Crow describes in “Everyday is a Winding Road.” Friends tell me I have an old soul, which I think means I understand a few things before my time, and a co-worker would also take note after she told me a joke.
“But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise;
God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
Mane Nine
Mane Nine by DilEmmas4U on DeviantArt
The Hill Family lived in the hills, in the mountains, say Appalachia, and the father in the family is Roy, Roy Hill. Roy saved a very long time to buy himself a fancy pair of shoes. Left out on the porch one day, the shoes were to torn to pieces by a roaming bobcat.

Couple nights later, Roy and Mrs. Hill were sitting on their porch when Mrs. Hill sees what sounds like a bobcat in the woods and asks, “Pardon me, Roy, is that the cat who chewed your new shoes?”
God chose what is low and despised in the world,
even things that are not, (1 Corinthians 1:27-29)
to bring to nothing things that are,
If you say that musically to the chorus from ‘Chattanooga Choo Choo,’ the joke is a lot more funny. I didn’t get a chance to really say how I knew that song, but I suspect the fact that I grew up with a lot of PBS and a show called ‘Shining Time Station,’ which featured ‘Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends,’ had something to do with that.

More recently it was ‘Family Guy,’ where Lois and Peter went to see KISS in concert, Lois gets the words wrong to ‘Rock And Roll All Nite,’ so half the band loses faith in humanity and leaves the stage, and the remaining two begin to sing ‘Chattanooga Choo Choo.’
so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment