The Internet is rising up in protest on February 11th

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just close my eyes I can hear easy-listening music

I am still adapting to working weekday mornings. Starting in a work/study position on September 8, 1998, and later in a part-time, regular position on May 24, 1999, I have been at Johnson County Community College for eleven years. In that time I have worked every shift. As work/study I worked in the mornings, I worked afternoons until 2004, and I returned to afternoons in September, 2006.

Working two part-time jobs made 2006, well, an interesting year.

In late March, 2006, for ten days I tried a newspaper route, which was a colossal failure. For seven days I was shown the route, working with a trainer, and day seven was Sunday. I would be an independent contractor, and paid for each paper delivered. The route was 21 miles long and consisted of 300 papers. I had not been able to study the routes during the daylight hours, because I worked in the morning and needed to sleep in the afternoon. I also had the fear of voiding the extended warranty on my car by driving for commercial purposes. My car was being repaired during this time-frame, and I had said that would be using my father's truck for the deliveries.
On Monday and Tuesday, I arrived in my car, I worked with the supervisor, and each day I was left feeling even worse about myself than I already was feeling because the my severe depression at the time. On Wednesday I was on my own, the newspapers were delivered late to the distribution site. I had decided to bring the papers home to roll them. I enlisted my mother's help, but I only had half the papers completed by 3:30 a.m. I ended up leaving the rest of the papers with one of the staff drivers, and I quit.

From May to early July, 2006, my second attempt at working two part-time jobs was at a call-center, conducting telephone surveys. I worked from 3:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. Needless to say this job did little to improve my self-worth, but I did make $2300.

I have never been more tired in the morning than when I was working the paper route, although working mornings now is a close second, after arriving home after midnight two or three nights per week. Just close my eyes I can hear easy-listening music from the 1970s, so I just drank my other can of soda for the caffeine.

I am generally pretty good about taking verbal notes to improve my performance in improv, and although sometimes I forget those notes, I have been told that I am making progress

Very sensitive to criticism otherwise, I received two tips from my manager today. I was a little hurt, but I am assuming a positive attitude, and will view them as ways to improve, like your girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment